Private Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB) was created in 1994 as a "One-Window Facilitator" on behalf of the Government of Pakistan (GoP) to promote private investments in power sector. In 2012 PPIB was made a statutory organization through Private Power and Infrastructure Board Act 2012 (Act VI of 2012). The role of PPIB has been further expanded by the GoP by allowing it to facilitate public sector power and related infrastructure projects in IPP mode, for which PPIB's Act has been amended in November 2015.
Federal Minister for Energy
Secretary, Ministry of Energy (Power Division)/Chairman PPIB
The basic ingredient of the Power Policy 1994 was the creation of Private Power & Infrastructure Board (PPIB) to act as a 'One Window' facilitator for the prospective investors in the power generation. Main objectives for creation of PPIB were to create a body which would;
- act as One-Window facilitator on behalf of GOP, its Ministries/ Departments.
- execute IA and provide GOP guarantees on behalf of President of Pakistan.
- monitor and facilitate IPPs in executing PPA, WUL with relevant GOP agencies.
- provide technical, financial and legal support to the then Ministry of Water & Power (now Power Division), Provinces I AJ&K.
- coordinate/ liaise with local and multilateral development Finance Institutions.
In 2012 PPIB was made a statutory organization through Private Power and Infrastructure Board Act 2012 (Act VI of 2012). In November 2015 through Amendment Ordinance 2015, PPIB has been awarded additional mandate by the Government of Pakistan to handle power projects in the public sector as well and to implement and operate them as independent and efficient corporate entities.
Shah Jahan MirzaManaging Director
Dr Munawar IqbalDirector General (Hydropower)
Ali Nawaz BhandDirector General (Coal)
Adil SharifDirector General (Law)
Safeer AhmedDirector General (Finance &Policy)
Faisal RiazDirector General (Corporate Affairs)
Mir Adil HameedDirector General (Transmission)
Khalid UmarDirector General (HR)
Sahiwal Coal Power Project
Status: Commissioned on 28.10.17 Financial Outlay/Project cost(US$ M) : 1912.2 Capacity(MW): 1320MW Location : Sahiwal Punjab
Port Qasim Coal Power Project
Status: Commissioned on 25.04.18 Financial Outlay/Project cost(US$ M) : 1912.2 Capacity(MW): 1320MW Location : Port Qasim, Sindh
Engro Thar Coal Power & Mine Project
Status: Commissioned on 10.07.19 Financial Outlay/Project cost(US$ M) : 995.4 Capacity(MW): 660MW Location : Thar Block-II, Sindh
HUBCO Coal Power Project
Status: Commissioned on 17.08.19 Financial Outlay/Project cost(US$ M) : 1912.2 Capacity(MW): 1320MW Location : Hub, Balochistan
Matiari-Lahore HVDC Transmission Line
Status: Commissioned on 01.09.21 Financial Outlay/Project cost(US$ M) : 1658.34 Capacity(MW): 4000MW Location : Matiari-Lahore
Policies, Guidelines & Processes Timeline
Current Processes Timelines
Previouse Power Policies
- 0113-Jun-2022 : PPIB Executives' group training "Leading at the Speed of Trust" held at PC Bhurban from June 11-12, 2022"...
- 0225-May-2022 : PRIME MINISTER SHAHBAZ SHARIF VISITS 720 MW KAROT HYDROPOWER PROJECT...
- 0322-Oct-2021 : PPIB PLANTS TREES FOR A CLEAN AND GREEN PAKISTAN...
Ground & 2nd Floor Emigration Tower G-8/1, Islamabad, Pakistan